January 4th, 2015
No one really needs “reasons” to play paintball with their buddies, but if you’re wavering and just can’t decide whether or not it’s a good idea, here’s the kick in the pants to get you off that fence and into some paintball gear:
1. Simulated violence – Remember that time your buddy said something really stupid and you wanted to punch him in the face? Invite him to paintball and you can track him through the woods and shoot him! Healing for everyone.
2. Awesome gear – If you like buying gadgets, then you’ll love playing paintball. Guns, ammo, protective goggles, neck shields, masks, helmets, and other upgrades will make you feel like a kid in a candy shop, but with guns.
3. Teamwork – Paintball is great when you can work together to take out other teams. Even if you’re not big on brawn, your brains can make you team MVP when they follow your strategic genius.
4. Move it or Lose it – Exercise can be so boring. I know I will only run if being chased. Paintball can deliver on this threat. Not only will you be running through the course, there’s ducking, crouching, diving and rolling to keep you limber.
5. Scenery – While there are indoor courses, most paintball activities take place outside. Whether it’s in the natural environment of the woods or a simulated urban jungle, getting out in the fresh air is an unexpected bonus for the sport.
6. Creativity – If you don’t like the game being played, then change the rules. You can play everything from tag, to capture the flag or even invent a game of your own. Paintball is many things, but it’s never boring.
7. Battle Scars – No matter whether you win or lose, I guarantee you’ll end up with some wicked bruises. They don’t hurt too much when you get them, but they look way gnarly afterwards. Feel free to make up a story about rescuing some orphans from a runaway train if you like. With damage like that, most people will believe you.
8. Fun for all ages – Paintball isn’t a friends only kind of game; you can bring the whole family! Call the course ahead to make sure of any age restrictions but generally kids as young as 8 can participate with the right safety equipment.
9. Adventure – No other sport offers the adventure and adrenaline rush quite like paintball. The physical and mental excitement will keep your heart racing and there is never a dull moment.
10. Realistic Guns – You can finally walk around holding an M-16 or a US M60 machine gun, but without all the mess of going through military training. Many of the paintball guns are modeled after real life guns — even military guns that you could never get your hands on. Even better than the real thing some might say.
11. Bragging rights – When else would you be able to brag about shooting your buddy without having to go to jail? There’s unexpected catharsis in being able to take someone down — especially when he’s your best friend.
Image Source: BigStock